Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: 511E vs. 311-90

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    511E vs. 311-90

    Do 511E and 311-90 really have the same basic specs as this seller claims?

    What are the chances of this being an authentic pair since there doesn't appear to be a trace of aqua-plas on them?

    Vintage Altec Lansing 511-E Horns (pair) w/ 288-16 Dvrs - eBay (item 230395083495 end time Nov-09-09 14:33:59 PST)
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member DSauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    106
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 511E vs. 311-90

    I am a current owner of a pair of authentic 511E/288-8G's. To answer your second question, I would have to say, slim & none. From the photo's, they look like hacked 511B's. He didn't even know enough to get the color right, let alone the aquaplast. Must have a great ring to them with the large format drivers.
    I've never used the 311-90, but I doubt we would've mf'd two horns with the same spec's.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: 511E vs. 311-90

    I got a pair of 511e's and gpa 288H drivers. I doubt he sandblasted them, which is probably the only way to remove the aquaplas.

    But they may be perfect for the task, I dunno, can't tell. My pair of 511e's...well the throats were terrible and it cost me two days of slowly smoothing the throats out
    with a grinder on an electric screwdriver, sandpaper and fill. But that's where the quality of the horn will play out. If I had the time I would buy up 2 or 3 dozen 511b's and convert them proper. Anyway, I would ask the guys for pics of the throats before considering purchasing them.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: 511E vs. 311-90

    Do 511E and 311-90 really have the same basic specs as this seller claims?
    I didn't read the blurb, but the 311 is a larger horn and will properly load the driver lower than the 511e.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: 511E vs. 311-90

    Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be published specs on the 511 with detail to the degree of those published for the 311-90 which has a published low cut-off of 220hz, i don't for a minute believe a 511 is capable of that, but there's still folks who believe the earth is flat

    I have another question or two for you fellas that own authentic examples, excepting the throat/driver flange, are they dimensionally identical to the 511A/B?

    Both the '75 and '78 pro catalogs list a peculiarly odd set of dimensions for the 511E. I know we've discussed this before, but was a firm conclusion ever reached that verifies the dimensions in both catalogs to just be plain wrong?
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2004
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 511E vs. 311-90

    I've never had 511b's at the same time to compare, but the 511E may be a factory modified 511b. I think other people believe the same thing, and some of them may feel justified in calling their own custom job a 511E. The factory 511E is gray, and aquaplas coated and the welds in the sector fins have been removed (or not done) and filled with (I think) aquaplas as well. Even hanging in the air they only thunk when thumped.

    I second the statement about the metal flow left in the throats of the factory 511E's. Some of the one's I've seen were pretty bad.

    I don't think there is any reason an authentic 511E should end up looking like those horns in the sale. They might work, after a fashion, but their value, to me, would be less than that of a useable 511b.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    511E vs. 311-90


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 511E vs. 311-90

    If you go to Altec Pro which is still up, and look at the PDF's...

    The PDF labeled 511A states 500 HZ cutoff.

    The 311-90 PDF states 220 Hz cutoff.

    Sellers who don't know and/or could care less if they lie as long as the sale is made, claim they have the same specs. To dummies, they have the same specs cause they are 40x90, nothing else matters right?

    So pick your label...ignorant or dishonest. Or both.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: 511E vs. 311-90

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I have another question or two for you fellas that own authentic examples, excepting the throat/driver flange, are they dimensionally identical to the 511A/B?

    Both the '75 and '78 pro catalogs list a peculiarly odd set of dimensions for the 511E. I know we've discussed this before, but was a firm conclusion ever reached that verifies the dimensions in both catalogs to just be plain wrong?
    I have both. The 511E's I have, have the original dark grey color, aquaplas coating and original stickers with serial numbers on them. They are nothing more than modified 511A/Bs...trust me... I have viewed the catalog you referred to that intimates larger size... but until someone has a set and can provide incontrovertible proof....I'm convinced the catalog is garbage.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    511E vs. 311-90


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 511E vs. 311-90

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    I have viewed the catalog you referred to that intimates larger size... but until someone has a set and can provide incontrovertible proof....I'm convinced the catalog is garbage.
    There are a number of documented mistakes in Altec lit...usually dimensions..


    Note the A is shown as huge too...8" taller than a B...

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page13.jpg

    Here is an interesting pic...looks like a cut off and welded on flange to me...

    4
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: 511E vs. 311-90

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Here is an interesting pic...looks like a cut off and welded on flange to me...
    Yeah...and look at the mounting ring which has been moved down too.
    That's exactly what mine look like....except the aquaplas coating on mine is very thick!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.